Weighted average prices of coal of certain grades, fractions and enrichment in the main coal basins.
In the calculation, thermal coals are brought to the basic caloric value (7,000 kcal/kg). Please use the instructions to obtain the price index value for coal of a selected target caloric value.
Territorial indices are calculated for coal of certain grades (anthracite, brown, bituminous thermal and metallurgical), fractions (raw, coarse, fine, sifting) and enrichment (enriched and unenriched) in the nine largest coal-mining regions of Russia:
- Pechora (Komi Republic);
- South (Rostov Oblast);
- Kuzbass (Kemerovo and Novosibirsk Oblast);
- Minusinsk (Republic of Khakassia);
- Krasnoyarsk (Krasnoyarsk Krai);
- Irkutsk (Irkutsk Oblast);
- Yakutia (Republic of Sakha);
- Transbaikalia (Zabaykalsky Krai and Republic of Buryatia);
- Far East (Amur Oblast, Khabarovsk Krai and Primorsky Krai).
Territorial Coal Price Indices include the following indicators:
- Domestic Market Indices for OTC-traded coal are calculated monthly on the basis of information on OTC contracts with delivery to the domestic market provided to SPIMEX in accordance with the requirements of Regulation of the Russian Federation Government of 23 July 2013 No. 623.
- Export Indices for OTC-traded coal are calculated monthly on the basis of information on OTC export contracts provided to SPIMEX in accordance with the requirements of Regulation of the Russian Federation Government of 23 July 2013 No. 623.
Domestic market territorial indices include excise tax and VAT at the rate established in accordance with the legislation of the Russian Federation. Territorial export indices do not include VAT.
Calculation methodologies are based on the same principle and differ only in the destination country taken into account in the calculation. This approach allows comparing domestic and export coal prices.
Territorial Price Indices for OTC-traded coal are calculated as the weighted average price of OTC contracts, shipment under which is made directly from the coal extraction site. The calculation takes into account only contracts for delivery of coal to the domestic market by rail, the price of which is determined in the month, when the index is calculated.
Indices for OTC contracts are calculated with a delay of 3 business days required for the exchange to collect information on OTC contracts.
Indices for OTC contracts are calculated only subject to the following conditions:
- Total volume of contracts included in the basis for calculation of Territorial Indices is at least 10 000 tons.
- When calculating the index for OTC contracts in compliance with the Regulation of the Russian Federation Government, information on contracts of at least two (2) persons that have entered into an OTC contract and at least three (3) purchasers of commodities is used.
When calculating Territorial Indices, thermal coals are brought to a basic calorific value (7,000 kcal/kg), which allows using these indices for inter-fuel comparison. Besides, using a simple formula the index value calculated for the basic caloric value can be converted to any selected target caloric value.
Neither adjusting factors nor transportation tariffs are used in the calculation of Territorial Indices. The only information used is contract prices and volumes. Therefore, Territorial Indices are the most precise indicator of the current average price of coal in the largest coal-mining regions of Russia.